You’ve got dreams of an emerald green yard and are excited for the delivery of your new sod. Proper preparation ahead of receiving delivery or pick up of sod can be beneficial for the success of the lawn. Let’s take a look at what you need to be ready for delivery day.
It’s Important To Be Prepared For Your Order
Whether you decide to take care of the sod installation yourself or have us professionally install it, the area that you’ve chosen for the sod needs to be properly prepped and ready before you get sod.
- Prepping the area for the sod – removing all debris, weeds, rocks to the area
- Installing the sod immediately – timing is key to stop any damage to sodCreating a water plan – we can assist with your water plan if needed
- Grass lifting – watch for grubs and water puddles that could lead to root damage.
What Happens When You’re Not Prepared For Your Sod Order?
The sooner your fresh sod goes from the farm to your soil, the better, so it doesn’t dry out. The same day is best. Don’t rush the preparation stage as it will save you time and headaches in the long run.
- Sod can spoil– it’s important to get that sod installed as soon as possible to keep it lush
- Sod can start to get discoloured – a sure sign things have taken too long is when you lose the grass’s green brilliance
- Sod can potentially die – prepping is key to ensure no sod goes to waste
Tips For Prepping Your Area For Sod Installation
It’s like most things, the better prepared you are the less chance for errors and mistakes. Here are a few more tips to make sure you have everything needed for a successful sod installation.
- Test the soil – This test will tell you if your soil’s pH is too far off to grow grass. Plants generally prefer soil that’s relatively neutral in pH.
- Clear the space from debris – unwanted debris and obstacles will cause unevenness
- Get rid of unwanted grass and weeds
- Grade the soil – most minor grading can be done on your own while major work may require more equipment
- Add a layer of topsoil
- Till the soil
- Water the soil
Get Your Sod Directly Through Our Farm Today
Need advice on how to create a watering plan to work with your environment? Let us know and we can assist with this. We service the following areas:
- Okanagan (including Vernon, Kelowna, Penticton, Osoyoos, Sorrento, Salmon Arm)
- Thompson Okanagan (Kamloops)
- BC Interior
- All the way to the US border
Please note that due to high demand, orders are taking longer to complete. Contact us today and we can give you a timeline of when our sod and turf will be ready for pick up or delivery.
Consider installing turf from Lavington Turf Farms and call us today for your quote.